Running & Racing

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Gasparilla Half Marathon

Time: 1:34:44
Overall: 105 out of 3436

I made the decision to take 2 days off before the race and that turned out to be a good decision. My heel didn’t bother me at all and everywhere else was pretty much pain free. I wasn’t able to overcome the less than ideal conditions and fell short of my sub 1:32 goal but I still managed a PR by over 1 ½ minutes.

The race started out at 62° and humid. The wind really started picking up around 45 minutes into the race as the front started coming through. Heading south on Bayshore was really rough as the wind gusts at that point were over 30 mph. It was a relief to hit the turnaround point (just after 10 mile mark) and have the wind at my back. The rain held off long enough for me to finish and get back to my car.

It was great that Mom was able to come out and watch. I guess it helps that she lives on Bayshore now. It helped running that last mile against the wind knowing that she was at the turnaround watching.

I don’t run a lot of HM but this is by far my favorite course. I would like to run the Gasparilla marathon sometime again but probably won’t just because I would miss out on the half.

http://results.active.com/pages/searchform.jsp?rsID=75406


Race website

No comments: